Select a School

Speech and Language Services

Speech & Language Services

The Haddon Heights School District employs two fully credentialed, certified and licensed speech-language specialists to provide services throughout the district.  Our speech-language specialists (SLS) provide therapy to eligible students, ages 3 to 21.

Speech-Language Providers

Jessica Faigle, MA, CCC-SLP: Elementary 

Dana Kahlbom, MS, CCC-SLP: Elementary and Jr./ Sr. High School

The Role of the Speech-Language Specialist

Speech-language specialists play many roles in the schools. Some of these roles are listed below:

  • Provides direct & indirect services to all eligible students
  • Serves as a child study team member for preschool age children
  • Case manager for children with a Speech IEP
  • Evaluators collaboratively determine eligibility for speech services
  • Consultant to parents and school staff concerning speech-language issues

Referring Children for Speech-Language Services


Speech-language services are available to eligible students to help reduce and/or eliminate speech-language-hearing disabilities. The program is directed at remediation for articulation, voice and fluency disorders, language development, and the refinement of auditory processing skills. To determine eligibility for speech-language services an evaluation must first be completed. A classroom teacher can refer a student by completing the Speech Referral Packet. Parents can request a speech evaluation by sending a written request to the Child Study Team Office. A meeting with a speech-language specialist will then be scheduled to discuss the referral concerns and to determine if a formal evaluation is warranted. The evaluation must consistent of documentation of the educational impact of the speech problem. When a child is identified as eligible for speech/language services, an Individual Education Program (IEP) is prepared. The IEP outlines the frequency and goals of the speech-language program. If the speech-language specialist suspects language or other learning concerns, they are required to refer the child to the full Child Study Team for an evaluation. Questions related to the program should be directed to the Child Study Team Office at 547-1322.

For parents, procedures for referring students for speech-language services are the same as listed on our Project CHILD FIND link. However, please specify in your letter that you are making a speech referral only, so the speech-language specialist can arrange a meeting with you rather than with the full child study team.  Please send your letter to:

Haddon Heights Public Schools

Department of Special Education

316-B Seventh Avenue

Haddon Heights, NJ 08035

Attn: Speech Referral

Teachers and School Intervention Teams (I & RS)

Teachers, through school based intervention teams, may refer students for speech and language services when concerns warrant further consideration. Teachers and school intervention teams must use district referral forms, which are available in each school and from the speech-language specialists.

Students with an Individualized Education Plan (IEP)

Students eligible for special education and related services are provided speech-language services whenever warranted. Parents should contact the child study team case manager assigned for their child with any questions or concerns.

Speech and Language Resource Links

Speech Development Chart

Overview of Communication Development

Early Detection Signs



Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2023 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.